Welcome

Occasionally, I feel the need to transfer thoughts from some corner of my mind to some forgotten corner of the blogosphere. So this is the space where I do that.


The postings here are a good cross-section of my interests. There are quite a few posts on some philosophical thoughts. There are also more professional posts on areas of strategy, IT Management, and data science.


I hope they are enjoyable and thought-provoking to read. Please leave comments and let me know what you think. I would enjoy the opportunity to engage in a conversation on these topics.


Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Eye of a Needle

Sushila Subramanian was a natural musician, a talented engineer, and one of the kindest and most generous people I've ever known.  She was also my wife for 12 years.  For two long years she fought a battle with cancer.  I am still in awe of the courage, grace, and dignity with which she faced that horrible disease.   

Six years ago today, I sat by her side as she took her final breath.  At that moment, my life passed through the eye of a needle.  In an instant, the universe compressed to include just me and her and silence.  I honestly don't even remember who else was in the room with me at that moment.  All of our plans, every possible future that I could have had that included Sushi disappeared. 

Sushi ceased to exist, but my life has continued after that moment.  There are still threads passing through the eye of that needle to connect me to my past.  However, in some ways, just like trying to look through the eye of a real needle, as I move further away from that moment, it becomes more difficult for me to see what is on the other side.  I can only see the needle and the small circle formed by its eye.  Tragically, I can no longer remember the sound of Sushi's laugh, but I can clearly remember, in every detail, the sound of her last breath.   I can catch glimpses in my memory of her playing music or dancing or cooking or walking on a beach, but my memories are overwhelmed with chemo and losing hair and weakness and surgery and hope and lost hope.

Having gone through that experience does not define who I am.   For a brief time after Sushi's death I joined a support group for people who had recently lost their spouses.  But I quickly broke off from that group because I didn't want to define myself as a widower.  I am more than that, and my life is defined by more than that moment.   However, going through that experience did change me.  I'm the same person I was before, but I'm not the same.  In some ways I'm better, in some, worse.  

I've gone on to live my life after that moment.  I've found love and happiness and the joy of being a parent.  I aspire to enjoy every single day.  I look for happiness in things big and small.  I try to learn and grow as a person and contribute positively to the world.  To do any differently would be a betrayal to my own beliefs about the importance of living life, and it would be a betrayal to Sushi's memory.  Cancer took from her the opportunity to live a life.  I feel that I honor her by living a life, in part, for her.

7 comments:

janani said...

Dan,
Admire both you and Sushi so much. Your post brought tears to my eyes. May you continue to life life to the fullest.

Sangita Sridhar said...

Dan,
What a beautiful way to remember my sister. All of us here were talking about her, thinking about her. She was very precious to me, my closest sister, confidante. I am glad that Cecelia and Morgan r there for u. God bless u and ur family in every way.

Surya said...

Dan,

You are one of the finest men on earth and I am privileged to know you.

Surya.

Dan Kiskis said...

Thank you. That's an incredible thing to say. I'm speechless (and you know how difficult that is to accomplish!)

mathangi sriram said...

Dan...i am from Madurai and Sushee 'is' my athai(aunt). I got to see this blog from Suman. This post has brought deep thinking, tears...A very beautiful way to bring back evergreen memories of sushee athai...

Madhusunda said...

Hi dan... This s madhu here... sushi's niece whom u have met during india visits... :) SAW this on kelci's page and went through this post.. it brought tears into my eyes...such a lovely post...U r such a wonderful human being n my aunt is such a lucky person to have you in her life....Have a wonderful life ahead...Love. :)

Anonymous said...

Dan,

This is Shantha - Sushi's friend from California. Sushi was and will always be a cherished friend whom I will miss dearly. That post of yours brought back tears and fun memories of Sushi. Take care.